RSE NYK GROUP
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is embodied in the NYK Group’s business strategy, constituting a fundamental element in the Group’s operation, administration and business practices.
This Social Responsibility view is summarized through the Group’s basic philosophy of “contributing to the improvement of societies through safe and reliable comprehensive transport” (a concept known in Japanese as Monohakobi).
In accordance with its declaration of principles, NYK Group shows an active commitment to the environment, which is reflected in concrete actions. For example:
- NYK has reduced the CO2 emission of owned vessels by 40% per ton of transported cargo, between 1999 and 2005.
- Since the beginning of 2006, NYK has publicly announced its CO2 emissions, based on IMO guidelines.
- Dozens of vessels use electric generator on the docks, instead of diesel generators, almost completely eliminating CO2, NOx and Sox, among other emissions.
- In 2008, the NYK Cool Earth project was promoted, whose objective is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% in 2050. In this project, all the group’s employees actively participate, making commitments to reduce CO2 in their daily life.
- Within the NYK Cool Earth, there is the development of the NYK Super Eco Ship 2030 prototype, a super ecological vessel that would produce up to 69% less CO2 emissions. Among other things, the Super Eco Ship introduces new mechanisms for loading and unloading container, a new propulsion system and the use of sails and solar energy. The latter, through 31,000 m2 of solar panels placed along the vessel.